Lil Mama Defends Nicki Minaj Comments, Breaks Down Crying On Air

Lil Mama Defends Nicki Minaj Comments, Breaks Down Crying On Air
For television star and pint sized rapper Lil Mama, growing up under the big lights isn't an easy thing to accomplish for a budding star. The Brooklyn born raptress visited New York City's Power 105 "Breakfast Club" morning show as a special guest today where she underwent a grilling experience that not even troubled billionaire Rupert Murdoch was subjected to at yesterdays British Parliment hearings.

Shortly After the America's Best Dance Crew Host was introduced to the airwaves things turned left when co-host Charlamagne Tha God referred to the rapper as the "Voice of the young scrubbleface" setting the stage for a series of jokes aimed at the MC that she would endure over the course of the interview. When Mama questioned Charlamagne's comments the host elaborated "cause your young and you have an old face, like Drake says 'I'm really too young to be looking this old.' "

Lil Mama was making her rounds on the morning show to promote her new music "NY, NY, LA, LA" with West Coast king Snoop Dogg. However, instead of talking music the young rapper found herself defending her actions at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards stunt where she stage crashed Jay-Z's set with Alicia Keys during the shows closing and her recent remarks going at Nicki Minaj.

"Ever since I was a kid I was always a fan of Hip-Hop" said Mama. "If you get your limelight whether your sixteen or twenty-one or wherever you're at, you get your lime when you get your lime but if you're a part of Hip-Hop and a child of Hip-Hop then you will always be a part of Hip-Hop. In my day, in my era, Ralph McDaniels, just being five and being at his block party you could just got onstage. If you see an awards show you'll see people can go onstage. Or you'll see that energy and it'll be received. So maybe my love was misconcepted."

Weeks back Mama made headlines when she suggested that reigning female rap superstar Nicki Minaj bit her style, a bold comment that she would be chastised over.

"The last time that we've seen any female MCs before Nicki there was me" Mama declared. "And when it came to radio interviews people were always asking 'where's the female MCs, where's the female MCs' where at this point i've stepped back from music at this moment. Still continuing with television in my career people would probably ask her that same question. So it's just a lot of controversy around being a female in Hip-Hop that a lot of time our community focuses on celebrating one female MC at a time and I think that's where it comes in at the controversy, 'who stole what style.' At the end of the day i'm talented and there's only one Lil Mama."

As the slugfest continued between Mama and Charlamagne, the interview hit a lowpoint when the young MC broke down in tears reflecting on her mother who passed away at the beginning of her career.

"I've taken a step away from music" and emotional Lil Mama revealed. "I'm getting into the music now. My music speaks for itself. I'm not here to say what I'm gonna do. When I was seventeen years old I put out an album while my mother was dying of cancer. That right there alone is struggle. That's hard. That's tough for anybody. But my music will speak for itself. My actions will speak for itself. My mother will be proud, my father will be proud. And at the end of the day nobody can stop me. Period."

That includes you too, Charlamagne.

At the conclusion of the interview Mama made peace with the Power 105 staff including Charlamagne and vowed to musically win her fans back.
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home