'American Idol' recap: Phil Phillips sings CCR, Joshua Ledet channels James Brown

'American Idol' recap: Phil Phillips sings CCR, Joshua Ledet channels James Brown
Phil Phillips won the night on “American Idol” Wednesday (well if you ask me at least).

Rebounding from a slightly weak showing last week, he kicked off the show singing Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “Have You Ever Seen the Rain.” The song was perfect for his voice, and he managed to keep the awkward Dave Matthews-like dancing to a minimum.

Even better was his second performance, of Damien Rice’s “Volcano.” It was simple and beautiful, just Phil playing guitar alongside a cellist and one back-up singer.

I normally get annoyed when the Idols choose to perform obscure songs (it’s more fun to hear them put their own twist on popular songs), but Phil can pretty much do whatever he wants. It was an “Idol” moment if there ever was one. I completely agree with Steven that it’s a song I could (and probably will) listen to over and over again.

Joshua’s second song, James Brown’s “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World,” rivaled both of Phillip’s performances (Was it better than Juliet’s version on “The Voice?” Talk amongst yourselves.)

And I would’ve given him the win, but I wasn’t as impressed with his first song, Josh Groban’s “You Raise Me Up.”

The judges loved Hollie’s take on Journey’s “Faithfully,” but it felt flat to me, dawg. Fittingly, they weren’t huge fans of her second song, Bonnie Raitt’s “I Can’t Make You Love Me,” and offered up the same old blather about how she didn’t understand the song. But I thought it was pretty.

Then there was Jessica. As I sat down to write this, I actually couldn’t remember either of the two songs she sang last night (a visit to Fox’s website reminded me they were Etta James’ “Steal Away” and Jennifer Holliday’s “And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going”). She’s obviously a great singer, but she has zero stage presence.
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home