Adele Biography

Biography for Adele

Date of Birth: 5 May 1988, Tottenham, London, England, UK

Birth Name: Adele Laurie Blue Adkins
Height
5' 9" (1.75 m)

Trade Mark
Soulful voice


Trivia
First winner of the Brit Awards Critics' Choice (2008).

Resides with her mother in South London.

Is influenced by the music of Etta James and Ella Fitzgerald.

Graduated from BRIT School (2006).

English soul and jazz singer.

Underwent throat surgery for a hemorrhaged vocal cord on November 7, 2011.

Named as the "Artist of the Year" for 2011 by Billboard.

Made Billboard history by becoming the first female singer to top the artist, album and singles list in the same year (2011).

In the 2011 Billboard poll, Adele was voted for the Favourite Hot 100 No. 1 song (Rolling in the Deep) and Favourite Billboard 200 No. 1 for her album "21".

Is good friends with "EastEnders" (1985) actor Sid Owen.

Voted #92 on Ask men's Top 99 'most desirable' woman of 2012 list.

Won 6 awards at the 2012 Grammy Awards, including: Record of the Year for her album "21", Album of the Year for "21", Song of the Year for "Rolling in the Deep", Best Solo Performance for "Someone Like You", Best Pop Vocal Album for "21", and Best Short Form Music Video for "Rolling in the Deep".

Has a miniature dachshund.

Personal Quotes
I'm learning about tax at the moment with my accountant - pffffff! I use the NHS, I can't use public transport any more, doing what I do, I went to state school, I'm mortified to have to pay 50 per cent! Trains are always late, most state schools are shit and I've gotta give you like four million quid, are you 'avin a laugh? When I got my tax bill in from 19 I was ready to go 'n' buy a gun and randomly open fire.

[on singing her songs of heartbreak] Imagine if you weren't in an office job or whatever, and you were performing your feelings as I do. It's kind of like not getting over something isn't it, because every night you have to talk about it.

I love food and hate exercise. I don't have time to work out. I don't want to be on the cover of Playboy or Vogue. I want to be on the cover of Rolling Stone or Q. I'm not a trend-setter. I'm a singer. I'd rather weigh a ton and make an amazing album than look like Nicole Richie and do a shit album. My aim in life is never to be skinny.

When it comes to staying myself - my career isn't my life, it doesn't come home with me. So it's a piece of piss staying grounded and not being changed by it. The same things I've always liked still satisfy me. My team's the same and my group of friends are the same. Of course I'm bowled over by people's response to "21," and when I meet artists I love, it blows my mind. But it baffles me as well. I go home and my best friend laughs at me, rather than going to a celebrity-studded party to rub shoulders with people who know me but who I don't know. I'm Z-list when it comes to that shit.

Commercial Success

Adele's debut album, 19, which is named for the singer's age when she began recording it, hit record stores in early 2008. Led by two popular lead singles, "Hometown Glory" and "Chasing Pavement," the record rocketed Adele to fame.

Released in the United States through Columbia Records, 19 resonated with American audiences, much like it had with British music listeners. Adele cemented her commercial success with an appearance in October 2008 on Saturday Night Live. At the taping of the show, the album was ranked No. 40 on iTunes. Less than 24 hours later, it was No. 1.

At the 2009 Grammy awards, Adele took home Best New Artist. In addition, the album earned the singer the distinction of being named the "Sound of 2008" by the BBC. That same year, she earned the Critics' Choice prize at the BRIT Awards.

Her much anticipated follow-up album, 21, again named for her age when she recorded it, did not disappoint upon its release in early 2011. Tapping even deeper into Adele's appreciation for classic American R&B and jazz, the record was a monster hit, selling 352,000 copies within its first week.


Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home